Program of the mobility
26-31 March 2014 Italy – Castiglione del Lago
The mobility is focussed on the photographic approach to the Landscape. Participants taken part in different photo workshop, experimenting also unusual technics. We designed the Pedagogical Cards about these subject and learners and trainers attended a photographic lessons designed by Giacomo Pulcinelli, expert in photograph for the cultural heritage and landscape.
Workshops “Introduction to Landscape and Photography” and “Off CameraWorkshop”.
The European agreement, signed in Florence in 2001, introduce a new concept of landscape: from an aesthetic vision to heritage vision that defines the landscape like “A part of the territory as it is perceived by the people who live there, whose character is the result of the action and of the interrelation of the natural and human interventions”.
– Take a picture of the landscape does not mean only take the “beautiful” (landscapes, cities, monuments, views …), but also what is less attractive (suburbs, industrial areas, business …) because everything is landscape.
– Photography is a tool to watch, depict, discover new possible perceptions, as well as an indispensable tool of territorial survey.
– It must be emphasized that the photograph is a means of interpreting reality and not an instrument of faithful reproduction. Behind the camera there is always an operator that reflects and makes choices that somehow influence the final product, the photo.
– Eugenio Turri in his essay “The Shadow of the Past” relies on landscape photography the dual role of memory and a warning. It allows us to see what remains of the landscape of the past, and save the changes, and at the same time allow us to understand the modernity, that is pressing and that can sometimes threaten the landscape.
– Up to 50 years, the landscape picture was connected to the image of the picture postcard, the beautiful view, and the Alinari, famous Florentine studio, are the main representatives of this type of photography.
At the Alinari, the most famous photographic firm at the time, in 1896 Guido Pompilj, then president of the Consortium for the water system of Lake Trasimeno, commissioned a report around the Trasimeno Lake, it
still remains a precise reference to the knowledge of the environment of the end of the nineteen century.
– Then there are the photographers of the year 1980 who have an entirely different vision of the landscape photography and using photography to interrogate and analyze the changes that take place in those years on the territory. There are not photos for taken for complaint, but to find and discover the current changes of a daily reality.
This dimension is part of the work of Louis Ghirri “Journey to Italy” and of the whole generation of photographers grown around this experience.
Among them we can mention Gabriele Basilico, to which the Provincial Administration of Perugia in 1987 commissioned the project “Trasimeno paths & visions”.
PRESENTATION OFF-CAMERA WORKSHOP
Minute of the meeting